Christmas

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas is a website where you can discuss all aspects of Christmas (as the name suggests!)

Latest topics

» Is there any food that you just have to eat on Christmas Day?
When do you start shopping for food for the big day? EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 10:07 pm by romynash

» How much do you set aside for parties?
When do you start shopping for food for the big day? EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 10:04 pm by romynash

» What gifts have you already bought?
When do you start shopping for food for the big day? EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 10:10 pm by romynash

» Which of the following do you buy for?
When do you start shopping for food for the big day? EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 10:21 pm by romynash

» What are your favourite festive recipes?
When do you start shopping for food for the big day? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 10:04 pm by romynash

» What is your budget for this Christmas
When do you start shopping for food for the big day? EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 10:22 pm by romynash

» Gifts.com site
When do you start shopping for food for the big day? EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 10:19 pm by romynash

» Where are you from?
When do you start shopping for food for the big day? EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 11:33 pm by romynash

» Rules - Read Before Posting
When do you start shopping for food for the big day? EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 11:31 pm by romynash

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Countdown

4 posters

When do you start shopping for food for the big day?

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

When do you start shopping for food for the big day? Empty When do you start shopping for food for the big day?

Post  Admin Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:50 am

I was just thinkng about when would be a good time to start buying food for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Eve and I wondered when you all start?

I usually start to get food at the end of November but I guess some stuff could be bought earlier.
    mrsow
    mrsow
    Elf
    Elf

Libra Posts : 45

When do you start shopping for food for the big day? Empty Re: When do you start shopping for food for the big day?

Post  mrsow Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:36 am

I dont really buy alot of extra food as we go to my mam and dads for xmas dinner and we dont have many visitors (oh dont we sound popular Shocked ) Although I have bought 3 packs of pringles as they were on offer in asda and have the middle of 2010 on
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

When do you start shopping for food for the big day? Empty Re: When do you start shopping for food for the big day?

Post  Admin Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:52 am

Lol we don't exactly have loads of visitors either, we just sort of have mini party sort of things all the time and need things to take or have if we host them, etc. We usually end up unwrapping the presents in the morning and then eating all afternoon on christmas day though xD
    Mhags
    Polar Bear
    Polar Bear

Post  Mhags Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:25 am

I am quite sad and start in August once kids have gone back to school. I try and buy something each time I do a shop and then dont notice it as much. I also make a food hamper for my in laws and buy something each week for that.

Last year I got ( apart from turkey) all my Christmas dinner at bargainous prices, pre cooked it and froze it;eg: roast potatoes were 20p for a bag of spuds and parboiled them and froze them. Parsnips were about 6p for a bag. Cranberries were 10p a bag, made c'berry sauce and froze it! Had a seriously delicious kelly bronze turkey to go with it all.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:30 am

That does sound like a pretty good idea. I suppose it doesnt seem so much like a massive shop then if you're buying it gradually.

Ffood hampers are often a nice idea to give as a gift as well. We used to give my grandparents a food hamper until they died and they always really appreciated it.
    RedCat
    RedCat
    Robin
    Robin

Post  RedCat Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:40 am

Wow M'hags, you're organised!

I love the idea of preparing some veg before hand and freezing.

I love to do the Christmas food shop, it's one of my favourite parts of Christmas. I usually start in October and I buy crackers, pate, chutneys, chocolates and biscuits and buffet type foods for when people come over. I also decide on all the recipes I want to bake and buy the ingredients.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:38 pm

Yeah, the idea of one big shop is quite appealing. We used to do it like that when I was really little but it was too hectic. And I can't wait that long anymore.. xD
    Buying things like crackers and chocolates early would be a pretty good idea in this house, although they'd probably get eaten... Lol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:25 pm